Monday, October 1, 2007

Rhine River, Germany

In the beginning of my trip I stayed in Berlin and went through Dassau so this time I decided to explore the beautiful western parts of Germany. I booked my accommodation in Köln and for two days I took cruises along the Rhine River to view the beautiful scenery of vine yards, forests, the river and numerous castles and churches. The first day I went from Koblenz to Köln and the second from Koblenz to Mainz. A lot of people thought I was crazy for doing the two cruises in two days on top of the train rides from Köln to Koblenz and Mainz to Köln but I figured it was the best way to see a large part Germany and the beautiful Rhine river in such a short amount of time.

I loved it as it was very relaxing and it was a great way to explore the sites in the rain. Whenever there was a break in the rain I went out on the deck to enjoy the fresh air. The food and drinks on the cruise were great and fairly inexpensive as well. It was a great way to relax and see a lot before the end of my trip as I have become somewhat exhausted from traveling for 2 months. I only wish I would have had a couple of more days so I could have explored the small towns and castles along the Rhine a little more but I want to head to Freiburg to hike through a little part of the Black Forest and spend my last day in Munich to check out the city and October Fest before heading back to the states.

No comments: