Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Barcelona, Spain

I decided I should stop off in Madrid again on my way up to Barcelona to visit the beautiful Parque del Retiro and Real Jardin Botanico (park and botanical gardens) for half a day. This gave me the opportunity to replace some of the pictures that I unfortunately lost when my camera was lost/stolen. I also found an international book store where I could find traveling books in English. Unfortunately, I was not able to replace the Lonely Planet guide I brought with me called Europe on a Shoestring; however, I did find another traveling book through a different publisher which will work just as well. It is not as detailed but much smaller and contains colored pictures which is always beneficial.

From Madrid, I took the night train to Barcelona where I stayed at a great hostile and meet some really cool people from Australia and London. We had great times as one of the guys we were hanging out with was from Barcelona so he knew the cool spots to take us.

Ramblas Street (the main street in Barcelona) was so much fun and full of entertainment as people dressed up in costumes and musicians played instruments for money. The street is full of shops, cafes, tourists and people trying to sell you souvenirs and cervesas (beer). It did get a little crazy at night as you can not walk down this street or sit and eat without being harassed by those selling stuff or belligerently drunk homeless people. None the less this is a great street, especially during the day.

The beach was very nice and relaxing as I treated myself to a 20 minute massage and laid out in the sun. Unfortunately, I got a bad sunburn on my legs but I was able to find some aloe vera which helped clear it up within a couple of days and alleviated the pain. There were also jelly fish warnings so we could not really go swimming. I even saw one as I briefly went in to get myself wet and to feel the Mediterranean water but I got out right away to avoid being stung.

I went to the Picasso museum which was very interesting as I know a lot more about Picasso's life and was able to see his progress as an artist though his first sketches in his youth to the well known pieces and everything in between. I was slightly disappointed that The Old Man Playing Guitar was not on display since it is my favorite painting from him but there was so much to see that my disappointed went away.

The Gothic Quarter was very interesting with a beautiful Cathedral as was the Sagrada Familia which is Neo-Gothic in style and is still under construction (from 1852 until approximately 2026) using Gauti's very detailed and amazing architectural design. This church uses nature for symbolism and once completed it will include 12 towers one for each apostle, topped with Venetian mosaics, a tower for the sacred heart (Jesus), and four towers representing the Evangelists. Within the towers there are amazing statues and carvings representing the facades of the Nativity, Glory, and the Passion of Christ. Absolutely beautiful! I can not wait to return to Barcelona in 20 years to see it completed.

I have had a great time over all in Spain but now I am off to Italy for a week...

No comments: