Sunday, September 16, 2007

Pecs, Hungary

Unfortunately, Earthdance (the international festival for peace) was not what I was expecting as the event was very different than back home in Laytonville. I was under the impression the event was from Fri to Sun with camping and since I did not have camping gear I decided to arrive on Saturday so I would only have to worry about my sleeping situation for one night.

I arrived around noon and the event was still being set up as it was not going to start until 6 in the evening and was going to end 5-6 in the morning on Sunday. This made me grateful I did not show up on Friday evening. I could tell by the set up the event was going to be small and it was weird cause I felt as if I was in a mini theme park as there was little kids rides everywhere. The site was very beautiful though as it was in the Forest up in the hills of Pecs so I decided to try to wait it out and stay for the event until it got very cold and started raining. All I had was a small sweater so I figured it was probably not a good idea for me to risk staying for the event.

The zoo was nearby so I walked around looking at small selection of animals there until the next bus came to go back to the train station. I changed my reservation and left on the next train to Budapest so i could catch the night train to Prague. I figured I would rather spend an extra day in Prague than be wet and cold for an event that I did not know what to expect. I did enjoy the beautiful scenic train ride though as Hungary consists mainly of rural plains and hills. I also enjoyed the beautiful Forest of Pecs even if I only spent a couple of hours there.

No comments: