Sunday, August 26, 2007

Madrid, Spain

I had a very relaxing and good time in Madrid. My hostel was pretty fun with a bar downstairs and great Sangria! Unfortunately,I only made one of the museums I was planning to go to but it was the best one in Madrid, El Museo Del Padro. I walk around for hours listening to the audio commentary in English. The paintings and sculptures were amazing. After the museum I went to The Real Jardin Botanico (botanical gardens) and walked around for hours. It was so beautiful!!!

Before I left Madrid, while I was waiting to catch my train to Sevilla, Spain, I relaxed in El Parque del Retiro (Retiro Park) which was one of the most beautiful parks I have ever seen (besides Redwood park back home). I walked around the maze of vegetation for hours, got some sun by the boat lake and walked through the Rosaleda (rose garden).

I was very happy that I was able to sit under the shade of the trees and walk around with my bare feet in the grass and was even able to practice my flag poi adding to the many forms of entertainment throughout the park. I found someone playing the violin near an area under the trees in the grass where I could spin to the music and sound of the water from one of the many fountains nearby. That was the first time I have been able to practice since I have been in Europe and it felt really great. It was also fun to watch the excitement from the little Spanish children walking by and others who were impressed as well.

My train was a quick ride but unfortunately this beautiful day ended on a sour note as I lost one of my bags when I got off the bus to go to my next hostel in Sevilla which contained my traveling books and unfortunately my camera :(

I have been really upset about it ever since I arrived and when I could not find it I started crying. Two police officers were driving by and saw how upset I was so they stopped to see what was wrong. Unfortunately they did not speak very much English and my EspaƱol es no bueno (no good) so they took me to the police station where I could speak to an international police officer over the phone and file a police report. They were so nice (probably the nicest police officers I have met) and it was an interesting experience being in the back seat of those little tiny European police cars. (Too bad I couldn´t get a picture of it)

I really hope I left my bag on the bus and will be able to find it tomorrow morning when the bus station opens but unfortunately I am pretty sure I left it when I sat down to look at the map to find my hostel. It defiantly could have been worse since I could have lost the other bag I was carrying which contained my passport, Eurorail pass and money. I am trying to look on the bright side but I am still upset because I had some great photos of Madrid on there and now I will not be able to take any more pictures throughout the rest of my trip. :(

No comments: